Sunday 23 August 2009

A culture of free "stuff"

I have despised tabloid newspapers and magazines since I can remember, especially the free ones. Just the fact that they are free has connotations of sensation, sleaze, sex, paparazzi and slimey "journalistic" endeavours.

People love free "stuff" though and will read what they are handed and largely believe it to be true. It kills me; the newspaper pretenders using tabloid-size print sheet and producing a mixture of real stories and the latest celeb gossip and of course, the football pages. The sport section is sometimes worth reading because it is quite difficult to put too much of a twist on a match/tournament the world is watching.

My biggest issue is the biased news reporting; the one-sided reports and subjective sources. I wish people would take the free "newspaper" and read it but still be critical at the end of it all. I'm not sure this happens very often unfortunately.

There is one free goody which I would happily accept again and again, every time I walk into the tube station. Sport magazine. Delightful design, colours, juicy information, focus, good research and flair. How I miss consistent flair in journalism today.

Anyhow, I have been reading the 12-page spread of the Ashes analysis in the August 21 edition. Being a South African, my interests have always been in my cricket team's successes and never buried in the history of other nation's sporting tours. After reading this article, however, I am more interested in Ashes 2009 than ever before. I crave the Oval crowds, the expectation, the excitement, the cold pints. Man oh man...

So out of this age of free handouts, I have found a truly fantastic treasure, Sport magazine. I do recommend...

No comments:

Post a Comment