Tuesday 16 February 2010

Living the Wimbledon dream (well, sort of)

June 7, 2009

For those of you who haven't been fortunate to walk through the All England Tennis Club gates, this is for you and for those who have been to watch matches at Wimbledon, I intensely dislike you. This place is spell-binding.

Big black gates protect her from intruders and those who wish to do her harm; ivy, grown over the last two decades, covers nearly every white wall; the colours of green and purple are visible on every sign or item of uniform; Rafa's name still takes pride on the giant scoreboard from the 2008 final, one of the greatest ever; the courts are nearly ready for the tournament, green and not yet lined; the people are friendly, they love working in such an exciting environment; the atmosphere is electric and it is still three weeks until the Championship but it feels as if this year will be better than ever.

Okay, back to earth. I am an Office Administrator for the Championship. My role is described as Accounting and Admin Assistant. Some will be laughing, I am laughing, at the thought of me involved with the accounting side of things. I too am a little afraid but am hoping that I will cope with it all. I am still not sure why they chose me for that particular role as there are others.

For the meantime, in the run-up to the actual tournament, we are stocking the three main shops, training all the 300 other staff and going out for a group dinner and drinks. Best part. A really awesome bunch of people, some Aussies, a Frenchman, a Scotsman and a few British boys. Note the lack of female company. There is only one other British girl working as a manager with me. Not a bad thing I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment