Thursday 15 July 2010

A bientot Angleterre - 3 July 2010

I am at my last caring job, back where it all began, in Swanley, Kent. It seems fitting that my caring experience started and ended here. I remember arriving in January; cold, petrified and bewildered. And rightfully so, it was awful. I have now returned feeling those same emotions because I knew what was in store for me, 18 days of hellish moments and unhappy people. I am lucky though that my outlook has shifted somewhat. That was my first caring job and I was worried that all my bookings would be that bad. This is my last caring job (for, hopefully, a very long time) and I know it cannot get any worse.

The weather is surprisingly good. Once again, the Wimbledon Championships haven't needed to use their 2 billion pound roof because of rain (touch wood) and people, generally, are in a happier mood. I have exactly 27 days left in England. Not much time when one subtracts my working days. I did not think I would be sad about leaving, but I am. I realise this is the "end of an era", my gap year has come to an end. It is now time to grow up, to hit the real world, to leave the raucousness of young life behind me. Well, maybe not quite yet. We shall have to see. Most of all, now that I have tasted a bit of travel, I am so hungry for more. I am hoping to get to Ireland to visit family friends from Durban days in Cork and then head over to Dublin for a day of sightseeing and Guinness drinking with an old Rhodes friend (feel like I have to go to Dublin and sample the true Guinness after my one-week stint with the Guinness family at Biddesden House in Andover in April; 36 wooden floors to polish, etc). And then my travels will be over.

I watched Ghana play an amazing World Cup match last night, and I like the rest of the world except, I think, the Uruguan nation, was desperately urging them on. The commentators on ITV 1 here in Britain didn't even pretend to be neutral, everyone was dreaming of an African win. It would have been amazing...but then Idiot Extraordinaire Suarez had to devastate us all. He should be suspended and heavily fined for putting an end to what could have been a dreamlike finish. I hope he had plenty of security last night.


It has been such an up and down year. I look forward to being in the same place for a couple of months and seeing some familiar faces on a daily basis. Most of all, I long to feel South African again, and even though I have missed the World Cup, there seems to much positivity over there. I hope it will continue for some time to come.

Fra

Things I will miss about England:

The five days of glorious weather after a forever of Winter;
The postal system;
Perhaps the public transport (ok, definitely the public transport);
Easy access to Europe (if you're not on a South African passport or already have a Schengen Visa);
The great British friends I have made;
And the South Africans I would probably never have met and have grown to love;
144 Florence Road and the memories;
Wimbledon Broadway;
Walkabout (never thought I'd say this! Damn!);
Walking past the All England Club (the home of the Wimbledon Championships);
Being just a number (in other words, whoever you want to be at any given time);
The West End, so close but yet so far;
Covent Garden;
Pre-packaged everything;
Argos;
Savannahs and Snoggys;
Waterstones;
Hyde Park;
the walking everywhere you go;
The pubs (one on every corner). Always a pub...

No comments:

Post a Comment