Thursday 28 October 2010

My eternal South Africa optimism returns...

After a restless, rehearsal-filled weekend of hating the world, I came to work on Monday to face a pile of paperwork and listen to the endless stream of unhappy callers. By 9am, I was on to the 40th caller and so very over it. Whilst humming along to one of Algoa’s finest tunes, “It’s just another manic Monday, wish it was Sunday…”, the phone rang for the 41st time. I picked it up reluctantly. It was not a query, however, this man was from the police, the Uitenhage Police.

Warrant Officer Smith*: Good morning, I am looking for Francis, Philippa Jayne?
Me: Yes sir, I mean, Officer.
Warrant Officer Smith: I think we have found your car.
Me: Oh my goodness.
Warrant Officer Smith: But it is in Uitenhage.
Me: Where?
Warrant Officer Smith: We found it in Motherwell. And we know who the thief is. He ran away.
Me: What does the car look like?

Warrant Officer Smith and his Uitenhage men had indeed found my car (later identified by the owner-on-paper, Jayne Turner) in Motherwell minus a petrol cap, cubby hole and a few other accessories. And he said that even though they had done a good job of “messing up” the ignition, I “could probably drive it again one day”.

Now this doesn’t sound much like excellent news but the fact is: SAPS members found my car in two and a half days. Mom was given the job of driving to Uitenhage to identify the Blue Bomber. She recognised her immediately despite the changed number plates and muddy interior. The costumes are long-gone though and the costume hire ladies are furious! Hopefully, I will be able to claim a little money from insurance and offer a token gesture.

Now will follow the lengthy process of insurance assessment and claims to have the car fixed. It should be an expensive experience. But I digress from my praise of the police. When I walked out of the office on Friday afternoon, I phoned my mother who phoned stepdad, Brian, who phoned the police. At 5:30pm, the Walmer Police had arrived at my home to take a statement. We all discussed the slim chance of ever finding the car whole. Surely, it had been stolen for its parts? The two Walmer officers referred me to Humewood Police Station because my claim would be processed more quickly.

I reported the theft at 10:30am on Saturday morning. By lunchtime, I had been texted a case number and confirmation that the theft had been circulated in police circles. That evening, an administrator phoned to check if I had received my case number and gave me some contact details of the Warrant Officer in charge of the investigation. On Monday, my car was found. And the thief has been caught. He is probably sitting in Uitenhage jail.

A pretty efficient process, if you ask me. I was lucky. And my belief in South African society had edged back up the ladder just a smidge.

*The Warrant Officer's name has been changed for obvious safety reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment