Friday 27 April 2012

Sport? Nah, what's that?

When I imagine a school athletics day, I see track and field, hurdles and baton relays, designated areas for high jump and long jump, war cries and cheerleading teams, each 'house' team divided by the colour they wear, whistles and starting guns, stopwatches and scoreboards, trophies and prizegivings. When I was at school, I looked forward to sports day and dreaded it all at the same time. I loved wearing sporty clothes, eating frozen lollipops, supporting my team mates, screaming my voice hoarse and I liked running the sprints. I did not enjoy picking up the litter at the end of the day or high jump or shotput trials or the 800m race, which I inevitably ran because no one else would. The 800m was a tough race because you had to kind of sprint the whole distance anyway.

When I was told that it was sports day at my all-girls' high school in Korea, I knew to expect something different. Whereas the boys' schools in this country generally follow the 'traditional' athletic sports day, very little emphasis is placed on physical education or sport in girls' schools. I thought there would be a bit of running but little else to do with athletics. I could not have dreamed what it would be like.


I arrived at school in the morning to find over 900 girls assembled on the school field. Each and every class in the school was dressed in different costumes; some in long, flowing skirts and others in luminous or hospital overalls. There was a class dressed in leopard print and another two classes in baseball and soccer uniforms. I battled to recognise some of my students because they had so much make-up on and looked as old as me in some cases. The latest pop music was blaring, the MC was roaring, and the girls were having an absolute ball.  





Apart from some very loud music, singing and jumping around, there was not much actual sporting activity, the most strenuous class contest involving passing a large, soft ball up and down the line. But it was such fun; the students took lots of photos and it was wonderful to see them taking a break from their jam-packed study schedule.



Just as the morning was drawing to a close, the MC announced a baton relay race for combined teacher-student teams. One class didn't have two teachers to run. After much incessant pleading, I agreed to running in the race. I kept insisting that someone else do it, however, as I hadn't sprinted since high school (a very long time ago). "Oh, but you play tennis. You will be the best!" Occasional social tennis versus the 100m sprint? Mmmm...


Naturally, I had been assured several times the day before not to worry about bringing sports clothes and fortunately, I have lived in Korea long enough to know that nothing happens quite as planned. Before leaving my apartment, I packed a pair of trackpants, a T-shirt and a much-needed sports bra. I managed to borrow some ill-fitting shoes from another student (yes, they were much too small) and headed for the starting line. Because I am a foreign teacher, I was made to do a little dance in front of the whole school to earn my place in the race, even though I had in fact been 'forced' to run.

At this point, I wish I'd still had my camera. The 'baton' was in fact a huge cylindrical-shaped stuffed cushion over a metre long. Even if you are a fast runner, you will lose time running with that thing under your arm.  Nevertheless, I ran the 100m well, leaving all the men in my dust.  Our eight-man team came second overall. For a few minutes, I was enjoying the adrenalin, when I was told I would have to run in the final. Final? There were only two races, for goodness sake! The second time, I made sure I ran faster and put more distance between me and my competition. We ended up winning the relay. Suddenly, I was the coolest teacher alive. It was still worth it the next day, when I awoke stiff and sore and coughing up a lung, because the students showed me new-found respect in English class...for one day.

After a well-earned lunch, we all headed to the back of the school, where there is an outside auditorium of sorts. This was undoubtedly the highlight of the day for students and teachers alike: the talent contest. There was amazing dancing, excellent choreography, creative costumes, beautiful singing and much loud sing along music. The girls went absolutely wild. And, I was once again welcomed onto the stage to dance like a fool.



By the end of the day, my mouth was actually exhausted from all the smiling and I could feel muscles I didn't know existed. Okay, I admit, I missed the athletics and the competition a little bit. But otherwise, seriously, who knew 'sports' day could be so darn cool?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment